Welcome

Hello Famliy Friends and Fans!
Welcome to my blog, and don't forget to vote in the poll at the bottom of the page and I hope you enjoy the cheeky quotes!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Training for Chimney Tops

Being as it is Wednesday this post was originally going to be Word Wednesday...which is nothing more than an exercise, of randomly choosing words from the dictionary and using them to write a paragraph, rolled over from my days in a Creative Writing class from years long past. But...

My Dad has dropped the gauntlet! He challenged me! So...now I'm training to climb Chimney Tops.

Me , my hubby and son are planning a trip to the Smoky Mountains this summer, when my dad found out he told me what a wonderful time I would have there. Said he had even climbed Chimney Tops. I told him we had thought about it but after everything I read about it I wasn't sure I could do it. So what does my Dad say? "Come on Kid, there ain't no reason you can't climb that rock! Hell, I did it and on my way up there was an 80 year old woman coming down. You won't have any problems with that old rock." Yeah... I am 43 years old, and my Dad still calls me Kid! Which I think is the problem here. He still sees me as that little Tomboy that would rather climb a tree, hike the woods, go  hunting for Morels, or canoeing more than anything else the world. Well, I still like to hike and do all of those other things. But...do I spend every waking moment in the woods or up a tree now? That would be a big...gigantic... NO! I'm so out of shape I need smacked!

So I have started to train to climb that damn rock. I spent an hour doing Zumba, was going to walk a mile but the wind is horrendous today! Later tonight while watching Criminal Minds, I will be doing steps with a kitchen chair.  Might even throw in some weights...wait... Do I even own Weights? Nope...Looks like I'll be stealing my sons!

This is the plan for vaca...usually I don't like to do an itinerary, but we have cut this vacation short...only five days so we have to try to get everything in that we want to do. Sunday...Hike to Grotto Falls possibly with an extension to Brushy Mountain.
Monday Paddle and Saddle, whitewater rapids and horseback riding, possibly with a trip to Oconaluftee River trail in the Cherokee region. Tuesday a hike to Alum Cave Bluffs. Wednesday will now be...hanging head, biting lip...a hike or I guess I should say climb...to Chimney Tops! Notice I have saved this for last, I figure if anybody, ME, gets hurt it is best that it happens on the last day of vaca instead of the first!

Why am I scared of Chimney Tops? It is only a 4 mile hike! No big deal! Well while researching and scouring for the best trails to hike I ran in to words like...difficult...strenuous...potentially dangerous...disastrous...And here is my favorite..."For those training to be a Navy Seal"!!! What?????

But my Dad has challenged me, so...I must do it...if he says I can...then I must be able to.  And have I ever not done anything that my Dad has told me I could? NOPE!

So this my daily work out schedule:
1-2 Hours Zumba
Walk at least 1 mile, if weather permits
1 hour steps on a kitchen chair
30 min. lifting weights

With any luck and a lot of work come vacation time I will conquer that damn ROCK! And more importantly prove my Dad right!

No comments:

Post a Comment